UNICEF Challenge - SDG 7 Affordable and Clean Energy
In collaboration with the UNICEF, we are hosting challenges for individuals, groups, science clubs and schools.
Challenge - SDG 7 Affordable and Clean Energy
What is the challenge?
In this challenge we learn about natural light, the energy from our sun, and design and test a concept for solar energy harvesting and use. Your submission includes your recommendations on an installation or optimisation of an existing installation that could be made to provide affordable and clean energy in your community.
How do we tackle this challenge?
- Preparation - You will be supported through this challenge, and we will provide background information and support, to give context to this challenge.
- Part 1 – Set up a STEM kit to collect data and post to the data dashboard over at least one week.
- Part 2 – validate your data:
- Complete an assignment with data collected by an identical kit in a controlled environment (solar eclipse). The output of this assignment is understanding the correlations between data sets
- Extract 24 hours of data from your own kit and apply the same methods as in the assignment
- Is your data reliable enough? Do you need to change your kit installation to make the data more dependable?
- Based on at least 7 days of data collection, where do you believe the most solar energy could be harvested?
- Part 3 - what three recommendations can you make to ensure that affordable and clean energy is provided or improved in your community, in line with achieving UN Sustainable Development Goal 7?
When you sign up for this challenge, you will be given access to our learning portal. Once you access this portal you will be able to ask questions of industry specialist mentors, access support materials and videos.
There is a link in the learning portal for you to submit your challenge report. The deadline is two months from when you sign up.
We will be awarding prizes to the top 80 submissions received before the deadline.
To participate in this challenge you will need the UNICEF SDG STEM kit.
If you do not have a kit, tackle this open challenge to be awarded one.
To participate in this challenge sign up here.
Back to all challenges...
Changing the world isn't easy, and we couldn't do it alone.
A core value of MaxIQ is to be able to provide our educational resources to students around the globe, especially those who live in areas where there is a lack of educational infrastructure to support these young minds in achieving their full potential. MaxIQ wouldn't be able to fulfill our mission without support from...